Atomic Habits will break your bad habits and add good habits to your life. It will also teach you, how even doing 1% daily will change your life. In short, it will open your eyes and make you a better person.
James Clear has changed the way I live my life, I know what exactly I have to do to quit coffee or anything else. One of the key lessons for me was, that habits will take time but when it’s done, your life will change as you become more aware of your actions.
Let me first say thank you for reading this. This will be a weekly newsletter, hope you enjoy it. Now I will see you every Sunday at 9:00 AM (IST).
How Atomic Habits Changed My Life
I was one of those people who used to drink two to three cups of coffee every day without questions, it was an automated process.
That automation broke when I read the Atomic Habits, I came to know, what I was doing every day without questioning.
You can say, I was a coffee addict, I needed coffee when I woke up and even at 8 PM.
This was getting worse and worse and I thought, it needed to change and I didn’t know how to change it (this changed after when I read the book).
So what I did is, I started cutting down my coffee intake and after almost 6 months, I didn’t stop drinking coffee but I came down from 3 cups to half a cup.
Now, I can quit coffee but I don’t want to because I mean, it’s coffee after all.
Related: 15 Must-Read Books in Life
The reality for me right now is, I’m not addicted to coffee and even if I miss a coffee day or two, I don’t feel tired because I’m not consuming too much coffee every day.
I broke the automated process because of this book.
This is only one example, I have implemented the 1% rule on many things and it worked out very well.
Now, let’s go inside the book.
Atomic Habits Summary
This book is all about habit formation and how even 1% change every day can change everything whether you want to add new habits or even quit. Small changes don’t feel that big when you start but in the long run, they will give you drastic changes.
The book is divided into four main sections:
- The importance of habits
- How habits are formed
- How to create new habits
- How to break bad habits.
So before we deep down, here is the FREE Mini-ebook of the Atomic Habits book. So download it now, and read it whenever you have time on your smartphone.
Four-Step Pattern Habits
So if you want to make your dream come true then you will have to add good habits in your life whether it’s reading books or doing exercise every day.
James Clear has written a four-step pattern in the Atomic Habits that will help you understand why you do certain things at certain.
- Cue. A piece of information that suggests there’s a reward to be found like the smell of a cookie or a dark room waiting to light up.
- Craving. The motivation to change something is to get the reward, like tasting a delicious cookie or being able to see.
- Response. Whatever thought or action you need to take to get to the reward.
- Reward. The satisfying feeling you get from the change, along with the lesson of whether to do it again or not.
For example, if you want to quit coffee,
On the first day, your mind will find a way to drink coffee, it will remind you,
- How it smells,
- The feeling of drinking coffee, and
- How it tests.
So this is that place when you say, I don’t want to drink coffee because I’m consuming coffee too much and it is affecting my health.
I know, when you quit coffee, it won’t be easy but once you decide something, in the end, your mind will make that happen.
The only thing you have to do is, focus on the process and not focus much on the end result.
Now, first of all, you have to make new habits attractive, easy, and satisfying.
- Make it obvious. Don’t hide your fruits in your fridge, put them on display front and center.
- Make it attractive. Start with the fruit you like the most, so you’ll actually want to eat one when you see it.
- Make it easy. Don’t create needless friction by focusing on fruits that are hard to peel. Bananas and apples are super easy to eat, for example.
- Make it satisfying. If you like the fruit you picked, you’ll love eating it and feel healthier as a result!
Let’s say, you want to quit coffee, so first thing first, you can’t put coffee in your fridge or if you want to eat fruits every day then you have to keep fruits in the fridge.
Also when you want to quit something, replace the habit with another habit, this way, you won’t think about Coffee or whatever else you want to quit.
For example, if you want to quit, Coffee then replace coffee with Milk, tea, fruits, or something else.
Just don’t quit coffee and do nothing.
A Habit Tracker
Whether you want to remove a habit or add a new habit, you need to have a habit tracker, this way, you will have some idea, of what you’re doing every day.
On the first day, write down on paper, how you felt when you didn’t drink coffee or what kind of thoughts you had during the day.
One more thing you can do is, get plain paper and a pen, make 30 boxes, and cross the box when you don’t drink coffee.
For your reference, I will add a sample image above.
Atomic Habits Review
Atomic Habits is a powerful book written by James Clear. The author has told us scientific ways to quit bad habits and add new habits. The book is all about self-improvement. Also, it’s written in a fun and engaging way, so you won’t feel bored while reading.
Buy Atomic Habits:
Favorite Quotes From Atomic Habits
“Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement”
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become.”
“If you want better results, then forget about setting goals. Focus on your system instead.”
Who Should Read It
- If you want to understand how your mind feels when you drink coffee or when you spend time with your loved one then this book will help you to understand all of that.
- If you want to cut out some bad habits then this book will guide you on the right path.
- You will be able to understand your mind better than ever after reading the Atomic Habits book.
- You will also learn, How small changes can lead to big changes.
I have just pointed out some points here but when you read Atomic Habits, you will learn more than what you have read here.
By the way, we also have a WhatsApp Channel, so if you love reading then it’s better to join the channel. And yes, it’s FREE…
Love What You Read, You Might Like These too…