Atomic Habits Summary – Improve 1% Everyday
Atomic Habit will break your bad habits and add good habits to your life. It will also teach you, how even doing 1% every day will change your life. In short, it will open your eyes and make you a better person.
Join The Free Weekly Newsletter…
Let me first say thank you for reading this. This will be a weekly newsletter, hope you enjoy it. Now I will see you every Sunday at 9:00 AM (IST).
Atomic Habits Summary
The book explores the science of habit formation and how small, consistent changes can lead to significant improvements in our lives.
The book is divided into four main sections:
- The importance of habits
- How habits are formed
- How to create new habits
- How to break bad habits.
James Clear argues that our habits are the key to achieving our goals and that small, incremental changes can have a major impact on our lives.
He provides practical advice for forming new habits and breaking old ones, as well as strategies for overcoming common obstacles to habit change.
The book also includes real-world examples of people who have used these principles to improve their health, wealth, and happiness.
Overall, Atomic Habits is a practical and inspiring guide to making lasting changes in your life. Clear’s approach is based on solid scientific research, and his writing is engaging and accessible.
Whether you’re looking to improve your health, your relationships, or your career, this book can help you make the changes you want to see in your life.
Meanwhile, improving by 1 percent isn’t particularly notable sometimes it isn’t even noticeable but it can be far more meaningful. especially in the long run.
The difference a tiny improvement can make over time is astounding.
Here’s how the math works out: if you can get 1 percent better each day for one year, you’ll end up thirty-seven times better by the time you’re done.
Conversely, if you get 1 percent worse each day for one year, you’ll decline nearly down to zero. What starts as a small win or a minor setback accumulates into something much more.
- Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement. Getting I percent better every day counts for a lot in the long run.
- Habits are a double-edged sword. They can work for you or against you, which is why understanding the details is essential.
- Small changes often appear to make no difference until you cross a critical threshold. The most powerful outcomes of any compounding process are delayed. You need to be patient.
- An atomic habit is a little habit that is part of a larger system. Just as atoms are the building blocks of molecules, atomic habits are the building blocks of remarkable results.
- If you want better results, then forget about setting goals. Focus on your system instead.
- You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.
Four-Step Pattern Habits
Whatever you have in your life is all because of all the actions you took every day, whether it’s watching movies every day, scrolling through social media, or watching p*n.
So if you want to make your dream come true then you will have to add some good habits in your life whether it’s reading books or doing exercise every day.
James Clear has written a four-step pattern in the Atomic Habit book which will help you a lot to add good habits and remove bad habits from your life.
- Cue. A piece of information that suggests there’s a reward to be found, like the smell of a cookie or a dark room waiting to light up.
- Craving. The motivation to change something is to get the reward, like tasting a delicious cookie or being able to see.
- Response. Whatever thought or action you need to take to get to the reward.
- Reward. The satisfying feeling you get from the change, along with the lesson of whether to do it again or not.
For example, if you want to quit coffee,
On the first day, your mind will find the way to drink coffee, it will remind you how it smells, how you feel while drinking coffee, and how it tests.
So this is that place when you say, I don’t want to drink coffee because I’m consuming coffee too much and it is affecting my health.
I know, when you quit coffee, it won’t be easy but once you decide something, in the end, your mind will make that happen.
You just have to say the right words at right time to yourself.
Now, first of all, you have to make new habits attractive, easy, and satisfying.
- Make it obvious. Don’t hide your fruits in your fridge, put them on display front and center.
- Make it attractive. Start with the fruit you like the most, so you’ll actually want to eat one when you see it.
- Make it easy. Don’t create needless friction by focusing on fruits that are hard to peel. Bananas and apples are super easy to eat, for example.
- Make it satisfying. If you like the fruit you picked, you’ll love eating it and feel healthier as a result!
Let’s say, you want to quit coffee, so first thing first, you can’t put coffee in your fridge or if you want to eat fruits every day then you have to keep fruits in the fridge.
Also when you want to quit something, replace the habit with another habit, this way, you won’t think about Coffee or whatever else you want to quit.
For example, if you want to quit, Coffee then replace coffee with Milk, tea, fruits, or something else.
A habit tracker
Whether you want to remove a habit or add a new habit, you just need to have a habit tracker, this way, you will have some idea, of what you’re doing every day.
On the first day, write down on paper, how you felt when you didn’t drink coffee or what kind of thoughts you had during the day.
One more thing you can do is, get plain paper and a pen, and make 30 boxes and cross the box when you don’t drink coffee.
For your reference, I will add a sample image above.
Atomic Habits Review
Atomic habit is a powerful book written by James Clear. The author has told us scientific ways to quit bad habits and add new habits. The book is all about self-improvement. Also, it’s written in a fun and engaging way, so you won’t feel bored and you won’t cut out while reading.
Favorite Quotes From Atomic Habits
“Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement”
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become.”
“If you want better results, then forget about setting goals. Focus on your system instead.”
Why you should read Atomic Habits
- If you want to understand how your mind feels when you drink coffee or when you spend time with your loved one then this book will help you to understand all of that.
- If you want to cut out some bad habits then this book will guide you on the right path.
- You will be able to understand your mind better than ever after reading Atomic Habits book.
- You will also learn, How small changes can lead to big changes.
I have just pointed out some points here but when you read Atomic Habits, you will learn more than what you have read here.
Love what you read, you might like these too…
Nice summary. I would really like to get this book.