Atomic Habit will break your bad habits and add good habits to your life. It will also teach you, how even doing 1% every day will change your life. In short, it will open your eyes and make you a better person.
Atomic Habit is one of those books that everyone should read because it tells you everything from time management to how to do things the way you want to do them.
“Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement” – James Clear
“Problem #1: Winners and losers have the same goals.” – James Clear
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become.” – James Clear
“If you want better results, then forget about setting goals. Focus on your system instead.” – James Clear
Join The Free Weekly Newsletter…
Let me first say thank you for reading this. This will be a weekly newsletter, hope you enjoy it. Now I will see you every Sunday at 9:00 AM (IST).
Atomic Habits Summary
If you’re having trouble changing your habits, the problem isn’t you. The problem is your system. Bad habits repeat themselves again and again not because you don’t want to change, but because you have the wrong system for change.
You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.
It is so easy to overestimate the importance of one defining moment and underestimate the value of making small improvements on a daily basis.
Too often, we convince ourselves that massive success requires massive action. Whether it is losing weight, building a business, writing a book, winning a championship, or achieving any other goal, we put pressure on ourselves to make some earth-shattering improvement that everyone will talk about.
Meanwhile, improving by 1 percent isn’t particularly notable sometimes it isn’t even noticeable but it can be far more meaningful. especially in the long run.
The difference a tiny improvement can make over time is astounding. Here’s how the math works out: if you can get 1 percent better each day for one year, you’ll end up thirty-seven times better by the time you’re done.
Conversely, if you get I percent worse each day for one year, you’ll decline nearly down to zero. What starts as a small win or a minor setback accumulates into something much more.
- Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement. Getting I percent better every day counts for a lot in the long run.
- Habits are a double-edged sword. They can work for you or against you, which is why understanding the details is essential.
- Small changes often appear to make no difference until you cross a critical threshold. The most powerful outcomes of any compounding process are delayed. You need to be patient.
- An atomic habit is a little habit that is part of a larger system. Just as atoms are the building blocks of molecules, atomic habits are the building blocks of remarkable results.
- If you want better results, then forget about setting goals. Focus on your system instead.
- You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.
Four-step pattern habits.
Whatever you have in your life is all because of all the actions you took every day, whether it’s watching movies every day, scrolling through social media, or watching porn.
So if you want to make your dream come true then you have to add some good habits in your life whether its reading books or doing exercise every day.
James Clear has written a four-step pattern in the Atomic Habit book which will help you a lot to add good habits and remove bad habits from your life.
- Cue. A piece of information that suggests there’s a reward to be found, like the smell of a cookie or a dark room waiting to light up.
- Craving. The motivation to change something is to get the reward, like tasting a delicious cookie or being able to see.
- Response. Whatever thought or action you need to take to get to the reward.
- Reward. The satisfying feeling you get from the change, along with the lesson of whether to do it again or not.
For example, if you want to quit coffee and today is your first day,
On the first day, your mind will find the way to drink coffee whether it will remind you how it smells, how you felt while drinking coffee, and how it tests.
So this is that place when you say, I don’t want to drink coffee because I don’t want to drink coffee, that’s it.
I know, that when you quit coffee, it won’t be easy but once you decide something, in the end, your mind will make that happen.
You just have to say the right words at right time to yourself.
James Clear has also said if you want to add a good habit then you have to make a new habit attractive, easy, and satisfying.
- Make it obvious. Don’t hide your fruits in your fridge, put them on display front and center.
- Make it attractive. Start with the fruit you like the most, so you’ll actually want to eat one when you see it.
- Make it easy. Don’t create needless friction by focusing on fruits that are hard to peel. Bananas and apples are super easy to eat, for example.
- Make it satisfying. If you like the fruit you picked, you’ll love eating it and feel healthier as a result!
Let’s say, you want to quit coffee, so first thing first, you can’t put coffee in your fridge or if you want to eat fruits every day then you have to keep fruits in the fridge.
Also when you want to quit something, replace the habit with another habit, this way, you won’t think about Coffee or whatever else you want to quit.
For example, if you want to quit, Coffee then replace coffee with Milk or fruits or something else.
A habit tracker
Whether you want to remove a habit or add a new habit, you just need to have a habit tracker, this way, you will have some idea, of what you’re doing every day.
On the first day, write down on paper, how you felt when you didn’t drink coffee or what kind of thoughts you had during the day.
One more thing you can do is, get plain paper and a pen, and make 30 boxes and cross the box when you don’t drink coffee.
For your reference, I will add a sample image above.
Atomic Habits Review
Atomic habit is the most Powerful and most helpful book written by James Clear. The author has told us scientific ways to quit bad habits and add new habits The book is all about self-improvement. Also, it’s written in a fun and engaging way, so won’t feel bored and you won’t cut out while reading.
Why you should read Atomic Habits
- If you want to understand how your mind feels when you drink coffee or when you spend time with your loved one then this book will help you to understand all of that.
- If you want to cut out some bad habits from your life then this book will guide you on the right path
- You will be able to understand your mind better than ever after reading Atomic Habits book.
- You will also learn, How small changes can lead to big changes.
I have just pointed out some points here but when you read Atomic Habits, you will learn more than you have read here.
I know, some of you may don’t like to read, so what you can do is, try out Amazon Audible, they will give you two books for free for a lifetime, you just have to pay Rs 1, here Atomic Habit Audiobook on Amazon…
Love what you read, you might like these too…